Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New work by Laura Wacha- pics coming soon!

As Aunt Bee said to Opie, “Finish your milk. We can’t put it back in the cow, you know.”
Like Aunt Bee, I’ve always been a big fan of finishing what I start. Usually once I declare a painting finished, I don’t go back to it again.
Recently however, I had an idea (Eureka!) to tear an old painting into strips, weave the strips together and paint over the result. The original image of three women on a sofa was fractured by the weaving but was still discernable to me and I used it as inspiration for the image that I then painted over the top. I found the potential for accidental alignments of images intriguing, as well as the option to retain the shapes and patterns of the original piece.
I enjoyed the process so much that I have ripped into strips other “finished” canvases that might benefit from a similar treatment. After painting a few of these reworked pieces, I am now painting pictures with the intent of ripping them up and weaving them together. What fun!
Laura Wacha

No comments: